We’ve had an amazing first year at The Chocolate Tour. This time last year I was spending my summer holiday working flat out to pull everything together for launch and boring everyone I know with talk of chocolate. So not much has changed…
Our first subscriptions were sent out at the start of April, and since then we have spread plenty of chocolatey love around New Zealand, drawing attention to the delicious creativity of New Zealand’s incredible chocolate makers and chocolatiers along the way.
I want to say a big thank you to you all – to the subscribers and customers, chocolate makers and chocolatiers, and friends and family – you’re all amazing, and I’m so grateful for your support. Here’s to a bigger and chocolatey-er 2018!
A bit about 2017:
Our themes for the year have been:
- The Inner Child – inspired by childhood treats, but with the sophisticated twist
- Back to Basics – with a focus on cacao, this collection featured deep flavours and gave a closer look at the origins of chocolate
- Herbs & Spices – heaps of different herb and spice flavoured bars and bites
- Time for Dessert – dessert-inspired, plus a couple of ideas for incorporating the chocolate into dessert
- Nuts & Seeds – chocolate featuring lots of different nuts and seeds used in innovative ways
- High Tea – replete with dainty morsels and delicate flavours
- Textures – chewy, crunchy, gooey, brittle – texture is so important in food and this box had heaps of it
- Storytime – inspired by famous children’s books, this collection was full of whimsical treats
- Fruits of Summer – summer fruit is magnificent, and even better when combined with chocolate
We’ve featured chocolate from 18 amazing chocolate makers and chocolatiers, and delivered to customers as far north as Whangarei, and as far south as Owaka (which is a smidge below Invercargill – we delivered there too!).
The top five chocolates of the year (as rated by our subscribers) were:
- Little Blues Spiced Quince Milk Chocolate Bar
- She Universe Open Sesame batons
- chocolatier mirams bonbons (lemon meringue, s’mores and peanut butter & cherry)
- House of Chocolate Coconut Meltaway and PB nougat
- House of Chocolate Fig, Cherry & Pistachio tablet
We’ve got plenty of new and exciting things planned for 2018, starting with our brand new mini subscription. Our January box is Gold – full of award-winning treats and other golden delights. And we know that many of the marvellous chocolate makers and chocolatiers we work with have great things planned for the year – which means great things for our subscribers as well.
I hope you’re having a lovely summer, with plenty of fun, sun and chocolate, in whichever order you please. Happy New Year!